Sunday, May 06, 2007

Eucharistic Theology from the Mouths of Babes

This morning during the 10:00 service, Susan and I were distributing the bread during Eucharist. Near the center of the altar rail was a mother with a couple of boys, probably around 6 or 7 years old. I was waiting for the next batch of people to arrive at the rail when I saw Susan give hosts, first to one boy, then to the mother, and then to the other boy. The first boy just sort of looked at the host in his hand, not really sure what to do with it. The second boy looked at the first and said, “Eat it, Tristan. It’s good.” I couldn’t help but chuckle. That was probably one of the best statements of Eucharistic theology I have ever heard. Children understand theology far more than we give them credit.

_______________

No comments: